The Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center is committed to educate the community about cancer through its collaborative work in community-based organizations and public and professional education initiatives. The Office of Outreach and Health Disparities has been an active partner in a wide range of programs and community events to raise awareness about the importance of cancer prevention and early detection.
Our Theater Outreach Program works with community organizations to implement HPV vaccine uptake education and breast, cervical and colorectal cancer prevention plays, and monologues targeted to medically underserved populations in areas with cancer burden disparities. The OOHD, along with our institutional and community collaborators, sponsor entertaining performances to raise awareness about cancer and educate audiences about prevention and early detection. At all events, a guest doctor or health educator is present to answer questions during a moderated a Q & A session. Thus, attendees have an opportunity to speak to a trained expert about cancer prevention.
Requirements to Book a Monologue
Target a specific group of at least 20 individuals as a captive audience and at least 45 minutes allotted time in an enclosed room with chairs.
What OOHD will Offer
- Marketing fliers
- Programs including resource information
- 15-20 minute breast, cervical, or colorectal cancer monologue
- Q&A session with Healthcare Professional
- Community Healthcare Worker on-site
- Educational printed or downloadable materials for audience members, including giveaways for in-person performances
- Light snacks & refreshments (for in-person performances only).
- For in-person performances, booths or exhibits will be staffed by our bilingual team members who will answer attendees’ questions. Please note that we require four weeks’ notice to ensure the availability of staff for any event or program. Due to COVID-19, we now offer virtual theater outreach. Contact us for more details.
If you would like to host one of our free plays or monologues at your next community event, in the Houston or surrounding areas, please call (713) 798-6643 to speak to one of our team members or email us at email@example.com.
Download and complete our Request for Theatre Performance Form.