The Baylor College of Medicine/Ben Taub Hospital Emergency Administrative Fellowship is currently accepting applications for our one-year fellowship program. Ben Taub Hospital is a high acuity, urban hospital that is one of only two Level 1 trauma centers in Houston’s Texas Medical Center, the world’s largest medical center.
Affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine and the Baylor Emergency Medicine Residency, this environment provides care for a diverse population leading to superb ultrasound and clinical training. The fellowship objectives are based on best practices in Emergency Medicine Operations and Leadership and are tailored to optimally meet the fellow’s professional goals.
- Review and understand patient throughput metrics & national benchmarks
- Acquire fundamentals of patient safety, quality assurance, and performance improvement through case review and interdepartmental meetings in the role of an assistant medical director
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and lead quality improvement projects
- Serve as core faculty for Baylor College of Medicine, providing lectures and oversight of EM Administration Month for residents and medical students
Fellows will participate in all aspects of EM operations, listed below:
Quality Assurance & Performance Improvement
- Trauma & Airway
- Cardiac Emergencies
- Logistics & Facilities
- Neurologic Emergencies
- Medical Toxicology
- Pediatric Emergencies
- Critical Care
- EMS & Disaster
- EM Informatics
- Clinical Decision Unit
The fellowship provides advanced education in emergency administration to fostering a collaborative research environment that is dedicated to discovery and innovation.
- Weekly EM Operations meetings
The fellow assumes a leadership role in administration education within the emergency department and residency.
- Lectures to the residency
The fellow is expected to complete one publishable original research project during his/her year of fellowship.
A longitudinal experience providing the fellow with the skills necessary to direct an Emergency Department.
- Quality Assurance
- 20 hours per week as an attending physician in the ED
- Appointment at Baylor College of Medicine as clinical instructor, Department of Emergency Medicine