Emergency Medicine Clinical Studies
Our department conducts clinical trials involving new diagnostics such as biomarkers and investigational devices as well as new treatments. Patients presenting to our Emergency Department at Ben Taub Hospital who meet the criteria for each study are eligible to enroll. Here is a list of active clinical trials with their respective link to the clinicaltrials.gov website (when available).
- Rapid Saliva Test for Diagnostics of Neuro-cognitive Disorder Due to TBI (NCDT)
- Feasibility Evaluation of the Access Brain Natriuretic Peptide Assay(s) as an Aid in the Diagnosis and Assessment of Severity of Heart Failure
- VITROS Immunodiagnostic Products hs Troponin I
- Specimen Collection in the Emergency Department for the Assessment of Clinical Performance of the Siemens PBNP Assay
- Understanding Patient Satisfaction, Experiences and Attitudes Towards Clinic and Research Settings
- Evaluation of the diagnostic value of the TPD system in determining ADHF causing acute dyspnea
- A Randomized Controlled Open-Label Study of CM4620 Injectable Emulsion in Patients with Severe COVID-19 Pneumonia
- Dapagliflozin in Respiratory Failure in Patients With COVID-19 (DARE-19) (H-47759)
- A Study to Evaluate the Effect of RBT-9 on Progression of COVID-19 in High-Risk Individuals (The PREVENT Study) (H-48169)
- Patiromer Utility as an Adjunct Treatment in Patients Needing Urgent Hyperkalemia Management (PLATINUM) (H-47150)
- Clinical-trial of COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma in Outpatients (C3PO) (H-48153)
Investigator-Initiated Clinical Studies
Here you will find a list of current studies:
- An observational study on the efficacy and safety of Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate (SPS).
- Biomarker Variability and Predictive Value in Dyspnea.
- Early Markers of Renal Injury in ED Patients.
- ReDS Technology Evaluation.
- The prevalence of undiscovered cardiac risk factors in low-risk chest pain patients admitted to the observation unit in a safety net hospital.
- Traumatic Brain Injury Registry
- Developing an Accident and Emergency HIV Testing Program in Belize City.
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine (PEM) Training for Non-Specialty Trained Providers in Belize.
- Sepsis Screening, Diagnosis, and Treatment at an Emergency Department in Belize: A Triage Protocol Implementation and Retrospective Analysis.
- Piloting the WHO Basic Emergency Care Curriculum: A Nationwide Initiative in Belize.
- Influenza In Patients Hospitalized With Heart Failure.