Orientation Begins July 22, 2022
I’m a Baylor Medical Student Orientation Day will be held on Friday, July 22. Administrative tasks and an introduction to medical school by the Office of Student Affairs will comprise the day’s activities.
The next week starts off in the Piney Woods of East Texas with the 20th PRN Orientation Retreat. The Retreat at Artesian Lakes will be the site for this memorable overnight stay gathering of your classmates. Professional facilitators and Baylor students will coordinate group activities in an experiential learning, outdoor environment. Focus will be on the effective development of group and personal relationships, teamwork and fun.
There will also be free time to explore and enjoy (horses, canoes, swimming, games and much more) the 500 acres of towering pines and hardwoods, including 250 acres of artesian and spring-fed lakes.
The retreat is followed by four days of activities, which continue to prepare you for life as a Baylor Medical student.
Attendance is mandatory for all orientation activities.
I'm a Baylor Medical Student Orientation Schedule
Friday, July 22 – Begins in DeBakey Library and Museum (enter through the Alkek Building Lobby)
- 8:30 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. IDs / pictures / welcome / presentations (includes lunch)
Monday, July 25
- 7:30 a.m. - Arrive at Alkek Building lobby (follow signs and balloons) - light breakfast and TB test reading as you arrive
- 8:15 a.m. - Board buses (Moursund Street)
- 8:45 a.m. - Departure
- 10:15 a.m. - Arrival/Welcome - Hospitality House
- 11 a.m. - Activities
- 12:30 p.m. - Lunch at Hilltop Herb Farm Restaurant / activities / snack / activities
- 1:30 p.m. - Activities / snack break / activities
- 4:15 p.m. - Settle into accommodations / free time (horses, canoes, swimming, sports, etc.)
- 6:30 p.m. - Dinner at Hilltop Herb Farm Restaurant
- 7:30 p.m. - Activity
- 10 p.m. - Free time (karaoke, games, hay rides, camp fires and Smores)
Tuesday, July 26
- 8 a.m. - Breakfast – Hilltop Herb Farm Restaurant
- 9 a.m. - Activity
- 10:30 a.m. - Free time (horses, canoes, swimming, sports, etc.)
- Noon - Lunch (box lunches) - Hospitality House
- 12:30 p.m. - Closing activities
- 1:30 p.m. - Departure
- 3:30 p.m. – Estimated arrival at Baylor (Moursund Street)
What to Bring?
(in a small backpack/overnight bag marked with your name)
- Change of clothes (dress lightly - it will be summertime in Texas)
- Tennis shoes
- Toilet articles
- Bathing suit (the pool is great)
- Hat, sunglasses, sunscreen and insect repellent
- Small umbrella (if rain is predicted)
Med School Morning Stretch - Join fellow classmates and kick-off med school with a commitment to staying strong and healthy! There will be an early morning, optional outdoor group workout session comprised of stretching, calisthenics, abdominal exercises and a short run. If interested, bring your running shoes, shorts and a small towel.
Special accommodation needs: Please call Student Affairs at (713) 798-4600.
Schedule for Continued Orientation At Baylor
Orientation activities continue at Baylor Wednesday, July 27 - 7 a.m. (light breakfast). Be sure to wear your official BCM ID that you received the previous Friday.
- Wednesday, July 27 - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Light Breakfast (7 a.m.) and orientation activities (start at 8 a.m.)
- Thursday, July 28 - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Light Breakfast (begins at 7 a.m.) and orientation activities (start at 8 a.m.)
- Friday, July 29 - 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Light Breakfast (begins at 7:30 a.m.), and orientation activities (start at 8:30 a.m.)
- Saturday, July 30 - Event time and details to be announced during Orientation Week.
Vegetarian diets will be accommodated.
You must be preliminarily registered as a Baylor College of Medicine medical student prior to orientation. Completion and submission of the Official Preliminary Registration Form is required prior to Monday, June 6.