Children's Nutrition Research Center
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, Texas United States
- Baylor College of Medicine (Office)
Children's Nutrition Research Ctr
1100 Bates Street, Ste 6072
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (713) 798-7087
- PhD from Tulane University
- 01/1987 - New Orleans, Louisiana United States
- MPH from Tulane University
- 01/1980 - New Orleans, Louisiana United States
- BS from Rochester Institute Of Technology
- 01/1979 - Rochester, New York United States
Honors & Awards
- Women In Health Awards
- Global Health and Pharma Magazine (10/2017)
- Kemper Healthy Lifestyles Lecture Series
- Endowed Lectureship
- Center for Children’s Healthy Lifestyles and Nutrition. Missouri (09/2016)
- Hogan Memorial Lecture
- Nutrition and Exercise Research Week
- Missouri University (04/2010)
- Who's Who Among Executives and Professionals
- 09/2008 - 09/2009
- Malcolm Trout Visiting Scholar Lecture Award
- Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, Michigan State University (09/2008)
Professional StatementTheresa A. Nicklas, DrPH, is Professor of Pediatrics at the USDA/ARS Children’s Nutrition Research Center at Baylor College of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics. Her current research interests focus on looking at eating patterns that are associated or predictive of obesity and chronic disease risk factors between childhood and young adulthood. She is also studying the environmental influences on eating habits of preschool children. Dr. Nicklas has published more than 350 scientific papers, 27 book chapters and 6 monographs. Her areas of expertise are cardiovascular health and nutritional epidemiology, dietary assessment, child nutrition, and health promotion and chronic disease prevention.
- Nicklas, T.A., Saab, R., Fulgoni III, V.L. "Is flavored milk really a bad beverage choice? The nutritional benefits of flavored milk outweigh the added sugars content." AS Nutritional Health. 2022 January ; 6 (1): 114-32.
- Klaas R Westerterp; Yosuke Yamada; Hiroyuki Sagayama; Amy Luke; Herman Pontzer; Jennifer Rood; …; Theresa Nicklas; …; George Wilson; Brian Wood; Jack Yanowski; Tsukasa Yoshida; Xueying Zhang; Jonathan Wells "Physical activity and fat-free mass during growth and in later life." Am J Clin Nutr. 2021 September ; : Pubmed PMID: 34477824
- Herman Pontzer, Yosuke Yamada, Hiroyuki Sagayama, Philip Ainslie, Lene Andersen, …, Theresa Nicklas, …, Klaas Westerterp, William Wong, John Speakman and the IAEA DLW database group "Daily energy expenditure through the human life course." Science. 2021 August ; 373 (6556): 808-812. Pubmed PMID: 34385400
- Vézina-Im LA, Beaulieu D, Thompson D, Nicklas TA, Baranowski T "Beliefs of women of childbearing age on healthy sleep habits: a reasoned action approach elicitation study." Women Health. 2021 September ; 61 (8): 751-762. Pubmed PMID: 34392814
- O’Neil CE, Nicklas TA, Fulgoni III VL "Associations of deciles of orange juice consumption with nutrient intake, diet quality, fruit consumption, and weight parameters in adults participating in the National Health And Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2016." Global J Food Sci Nutr. 2021 4 (1): 1-19.
- Nicklas, TA, O'Neil, CE, Saab, R, Fulgoni, III VL "Trends in orange juice consumption and nutrient adequacy in adults 2003-2016. AS Nutritional Health." AS Nutritional Health. 2021 (1): 23-44.
- Speakman JR, Yamada Y, Sagayama H, Berman ESF, Ainslie PN, ..., Nicklas TA, ..., Wong WW, IAEA DLW database group, "A standard calculation methodology for human doubly labeled water studies." Cell Rep Med. 2021 February 16; 2 (2): 100203. Pubmed PMID: 33665639
- Barco Leme, AC, Fisberg, RM, Baranowski, T, Nicklas, T, Callender, CS, Kasam A, Philippi, ST, Thompson, DJ "Perceptions about health, nutrition knowledge and MyPlate food categorization among US adolescents: A qualitative study." J Nutr Educ Behav. 2021 February ; 53 (2): 110-19. Pubmed PMID: 33358516
- O’Neil CE, Nicklas TA, Fulgoni III VL "Associations of Deciles of Orange Juice Consumption with Nutrient Intake, Diet Quality, and Weight in Children Using National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2003-2016 Data." Pediar Res Child Health. 2020 4 (1): 1-14.
- Nicklas T.A, ONeil, C.E, Fulgoni III, V.L. "Nutrient intake, introduction of baby cereals and other complementary foods in the diets of infants and toddlers from birth to 23 months of age." AIMS Public Health. 2020 7 (1): 123-47. Pubmed PMID: 32258195
- O’Neil CE, Saab R, Fulgoni III VL "Trends in Orange Juice Consumption and Nutrient Adequacy in Children 2003-2016." Intl J Child Health Nutr. 2020 9 (3): 100-114.
- "Food sources of energy and nutrients of public health concern and to limit and the contribution of mixed dishes to the diets of adults 19+ years of age: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2011-2014." Acta Scientific Nutr Health. 2020 4 (4): 28-49.
- Carol E O'Neil, Theresa A Nicklas , Rabab Saab, Victor L Fulgoni "Relationship of added sugars intakes with physiologic parameters in adults: an analysis of national health and nutrition examination survey 2001-2012." AIMS Public Health. 2020 July 1; 7 (3): 450-68. Pubmed PMID: 32968670
- Nicklas T, Thompson D, Liu Y "Barriers and facilitators for adherence to physical activity recommendations among adults and children in a multi-site cross-sectional study." JPHSM. 2019 2 (1): 18-30.
- Nicklas TA, O’Neil C.E, Fulgoni III V.L. "Evaluating the impact of the revised special supplemental nutrition program for Women, Infants, and Children fruit juice allotment on fruit intake, dietary quality, and energy/nutrient intakes among children 1-4 years of age." Int. J. Child Health Nutr.. 2018 7 (4): 146-56.
- Nicklas, T.A., O'Neil, C.E., Fulgoni III, V.L "Beverage consumption in the diets of children is not consistently associated with weight: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007-2014." Int. J Child Health and Nutr. 2018 7 : 47-62.
- Vezina-Im LA, Nicklas TA, Baranowski T "Associations among Sleep, Body Mass Index, Waist Circumference and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes among US Childbearing Age Women: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey." J Womens Health. 2018 November ; 27 (11): 1400-07. Pubmed PMID: 29583069
- Nicklas TA, O'Neil CE., Fulgoni III V.L. "Association of usual intake of added sugars with nutrient adequacy." Int. J Clin Nutr Diet. 2018 4 : 126.
- Nicklas T, Saab R, Islam NG, Wong W, Butte N, Schulin R, Liu Y, Apolzan JW, Myers C, Martin C "Validity of the Remote Food Photography Method against Doubly Labeled Water among Minority Preschoolers." Obesity (Silver Spring). 2017 September ; 25 (9): 1633-38. Pubmed PMID: 28758370
- Grimes CA, Szymlek-Gay EA, Nicklas TA "Beverage consumption among U.S. children aged 0-24 months: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES)." Nutrients. 2017 May ; 9 (3): 264. Pubmed PMID: 28335374
- Nicklas T, Lopez S, Liu Y, Saab R, Reiher R "Motivational theater to increase consumption of vegetable dishes by preschool children." Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2017 February ; 14 (1): 16. Pubmed PMID: 28166788
- Iovino I, Stuff J, Liu Y, Brewton C, Dovi A, Kleinman R, Nicklas T "Breakfast consumption has no effect on neuropsychological functioning in children: a repeated-measures clinical trial." Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 September ; 104 (3): 715-21. Pubmed PMID: 27465375
- Nicklas T, Liu Y, Giovanni M, Jahns L, Tucker K, Laugero K, Bogle M, Chester D "Association between barriers and facilitators to meeting the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and body weight status of caregiver–child dyads: the Healthy Eating and Lifestyle for Total Health Study." Am J Clin Nutr. 2016 July ; 104 (1): 143-54. Pubmed PMID: 27194306
- Nicklas TA, O’Neil CE, Fulgoni III, VL "Differing Statistical Approaches Affect the Relationship between Egg Consumption, Adiposity, and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Adults." J Nutr. 2015 January ; 145 (1): 170S-6S. Pubmed PMID: 25527676
- Jahns L, Leander M, Wadsworth A, Morin C, Liu Y, Nicklas T "Barriers and Facilitators to following the Dietary Guidelines for Americans reported by rural, Northern Plains American-Indian children." Public Health Nutr. 2015 February ; 18 (3): 482-89. Pubmed PMID: 24679830
- Nicklas TA, O’Neil CE "Development of the SoFAS (solid fats and added sugars) concept: the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans." Adv Nutr. 2015 May 15; 6 (3): 368S-75S. Pubmed PMID: 25979510
- Theresa A. Nicklas, Carol E. O'Neil "Prevalence of Obesity: A Public Health Problem Poorly Understood." AIMS Public Health. 2014 June 20; 1 (1): 109-122.
- Theresa A. Nicklas, Carol E. O'Neil, Victor L. Fulgoni III "Snacking Patterns, Diet Quality, and Cardiovascular Risk Factors in Adults." BMC Public Health. 2014 April 23; 14 (388): 1-14. Pubmed PMID: 24754905
- Susan L. Johnson, Sheryl O. Hughes, Xiangqin Cui, Xuelin Li, David B Allison, Yan Liu, L Suzanne Goodell, Theresa Nicklas, Thomas G Power, Kirstin Vollrath "Portion Sizes for Children are Predicted by Parental Characteristics and the Amounts Parents Serve Themselves." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2014 January 29; 99 (4): 763-770. Pubmed PMID: 24477036
- Theresa A. Nicklas, Tuan Nguyen, Nancy Butte, Yan Liu "The Children in Action Pilot Study." International Journal of Child Nutrition and . 2013 November 25; 2 (4): 296-308.
- Theresa A. Nicklas, Carol E. O'Neil, Victor L. Fulgoni III "Relationship Between Snacking Patterns, Diet Quality, and Risk of Overweight and Abdominal Obesity in Children." International Journal of Child Nutrition and . 2013 August 31; 2 (3): 189-200.
- Theresa A. Nicklas, Lisa Jahns, Margaret Bogle, Deirdra N. Chester, Maria Giovanni, David M. Klurfeld, Kevin Laugero, Yan Liu, Sandra Lopez, Katherine L. Tucker "Barriers and Facilitators for Consumer Adherence to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans: The HEALTH Study." Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. 2013 July 17; 113 (10): 1317-1331. Pubmed PMID: 23871110
- Theresa A. Nicklas, Yan Liu, Janice E. Stuff, Jennifer O. Fisher, Jason A. Mendoza, Carol E. O’Neil "Characterizing lunch meals served and consumed by pre-school children in Head Start." Public Health Nutrition. 2013 May 24; 16 (12): 2169–2177. Pubmed PMID: 23701867
- Corby K. Martin, Theresa A. Nicklas, Bahadir K. Gunturk, J. B. Correa, H. R. Allen, C. Champagne "Measuring Food Intake with Digital Photography." Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2014 January ; 27 : 72-81. Pubmed PMID: 23848588
- Oikonen M, Laitinen TT, Magnussen CG, Steinberger J, Sinaiko AR, Dwyer T, Venn A, Smith KJ, Hutri-Kähönen N, Pahkala K, Mikkilä V, Prineas R, Viikari JS, Morrison JA, Woo JG, Chen W, Nicklas T, Srinivasan SR, Berenson G, Juonala M, Raitakari OT "Ideal Cardiovascular Health in Young Adult Populations From the United States, Finland, and Australia and Its Association With cIMT: The International Childhood Cardiovascular Cohort Consortium.." J Am Heart Assoc. 2013 2 (3): e000244. Pubmed PMID: 23782922
- Nicklas TA, O'Neil CE, Fulgoni VL "Diet quality is inversely related to cardiovascular risk factors in adults.." J. Nutr.. 2012 December ; 142 (12): 2112-8. Pubmed PMID: 23077187
- Nicklas TA, O'Neil CE, Stuff JE, Hughes SO, Liu Y "Characterizing dinner meals served and consumed by low-income preschool children.." Child Obes. 2012 December ; 8 (6): 561-71. Pubmed PMID: 23181922
- Deshmukh-Taskar PR, Nicklas TA, O'Neil CE, Keast DR, Radcliffe JD, Cho S "The relationship of breakfast skipping and type of breakfast consumption with nutrient intake and weight status in children and adolescents: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999-2006.." J Am Diet Assoc. 2010 June ; 110 (6): 869-78. Pubmed PMID: 20497776
- Nicklas TA, O'Neil CE, Stuff J, Goodell LS, Liu Y, Martin CK "Validity and feasibility of a digital diet estimation method for use with preschool children: a pilot study.." J Nutr Educ Behav. 2012 November ; 44 (6): 618-23. Pubmed PMID: 22727939
- O'Neil CE, Nicklas TA, Zanovec M, Kleinman RE, Fulgoni VL "Fruit juice consumption is associated with improved nutrient adequacy in children and adolescents: the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003-2006.." Public Health Nutr. 2012 October ; 15 (10): 1871-8. Pubmed PMID: 22443678
- Tuan NT, Butte NF, Nicklas TA "Body mass index distribution affects discrepancies in weight classifications in children.." Pediatr Int. 2012 April ; 54 (2): 256-65. Pubmed PMID: 22168359
- Dan L Duncan Comprehensive Cancer Center
- American Society of Nutritional Sciences, Nutritional Epidemiology Research Interest Section
- (01/2002 - 03/2021)
- American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- Active Member of the American Institute of Nutrition
- Active Member of the American Society of Clinical Nutrition
- Epidemiology of Childhood Diet and Obesity - #3092-51000-058
- $174,365.00 (10/01/2019 - 09/30/2024) Grant funding from USDA/ARS
- The goal is to better understand eating patterns, impact of food security status, rural/urban differences, and seasonal differences in weight-related behaviors that influence obesity and other health risk factors in children, adolescents, and adults.
- Increasing Vegetable Intake in Children - #1R21HD073608-01A1
- $379,500.00 (07/01/2013 - 06/30/2015) Grant funding from National Institute of Health, National Cancer Institute
- The goal of this study was to test the feasibility of an innovative approach to increase the amount of vegetables consumed by preschool children who are predominantly low-income African-American and Hispanic-American. The primary endpoint will be changes in Vegetable consumption in Head-Start with the hypothesis that a PUPPET intervention will increase vegetable consumption in preschool children.
- Validation of Digital Diet Method for Use with Preschool Children - #R01 CA142919-01A1
- $2,090,050.00 (01/01/2012 - 12/31/2015) Grant funding from National Institute of Health/National Cancer Institute
- The goal of this study was to modify the Remote Food Photography Method for use with Preschool children in Head Start who come from low-income families.
- Prevention of Obesity and Related Diseases - #6250-51000-053
- $420,743.00 (10/01/2012 - 08/30/2018) Grant funding from USDA/ARS
- The goal of this research involved a detailed investigation of the relationship between eating patterns and obesity in children and young adults.
- The Effects of Breakfast on Neuropsychological Functioning - #34987-I
- $1,252,893.00 (07/01/2011 - 08/31/2015) Grant funding from Ferrero
- The goal of this study was to evaluate the effects of: a) consumption of breakfast versus no breakfast; and b) consumption of breakfast in two subgroups of children, those at nutritionally at risk versus healthy children, ages 8-10 on short-term neuropsychological functioning.
- Healthy Eating and Lifestyle for Total Health (HEALTH) - #58-6251-8-037
- $440,000.00 (10/01/2009 - 09/30/2010) Grant funding from USDA/ARS
- The objective of this multi-site project was to identify Dietary Guideline adherence to barriers and facilitators in caregivers and children from three major U.S. racial/ethnic groups (African-American, European American, and Hispanic).
- Healthy Eating and Lifestyle for Total Health (HEALTH)
- $660,000.00 (12/15/2008 - 11/14/2010) Dairy Management, Inc /National Dairy Council
- The overall objective of this multi-center study, Healthy Eating and Lifestyle for Total Health (HEALTH), was to identify Dietary Guidelines adherence to barriers and facilitators in caregivers and children from three major U.S. racial/ethnic groups and to examine how the Dietary Guidelines adherence lifestyle packages relate to dietary behavior and body mass index (obesity).
- Nutritional Consequences of Substituting Beef Protein with Various Nutrients and Food Sources - #National Cattlemen's Beef Associ
- $165,289.00 (12/15/2011 - 12/15/2012) Grant funding from National Cattlemen's Beef Association
- The proposed research will address several key research questions that will provide critical information for the 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans Advisory Committee. This will be an opportunity for NCBA to build a solid foundation of evidence on the role of beef and animal protein in healthy dietary patterns; especially those based on typical American diets.
- The Role Rice Plays in Achieving a Healthy Diet and Promoting Public Health Benefits - #The Rice Foundation
- $115,411.00 (01/01/2012 - 12/31/2012) Grant funding from The Rice Foundation
- The overall goal of this research is: To provide credible scientific support for whole grain brown rice and enriched, fortified white rice as a “quality carbohydrate” and a “superior grain” with outcomes that demonstrate the positive role rice can play in achieving a healthy, balanced diet; one that meets the main principles set forth in the US Dietary Guidelines for Americans and provides a public health benefit.
- Understanding the Role of Breakfast and Snacking Patterns in Chronic Disease Risk - #Kellogg's Corporate Citizenship
- $72,000.00 (12/01/2011 - 11/30/2012) Grant funding from Kellogg's Corporate Citizenship Fund
- The goal of the proposed research is twofold: 1) to look at patterns of breakfast, RTE cereal, and snacking consumption and disease risk and, 2) to determine the independent effects of breakfast, RTE cereal, and snacking on disease risk after controlling for correlated components in the diet and health behaviors.
- Unscrambling the Research: Eggs, Healthy Lifestyle, and Health Outcomes - #Egg Nutrition Board
- $100,000.00 (11/01/2010 - 11/30/2012) Grant funding from Egg Nutrition Board
- The goal of the proposed research is twofold: 1) to examine egg consumption patterns in relationship to nutrient intake and disease risk, and 2) to determine the independent effects of egg consumption patterns on disease risk after controlling for covariates, including, but not limited to correlated food components in the diet and health behaviors.
Log In to edit your profile