Texas Developmental Center for AIDS Research (Texas D-CFAR) focuses its research on the theme “Ending HIV and optimizing HIV health in Texas.”
Ending the HIV epidemic in Texas requires research on HIV prevention, cure, and the care continuum. Accordingly, the Texas D-CFAR home institutions are laser-focused on conducting this research in Texas— and helping others to do the same— in an effort to make high-impact contributions in the battle against the worldwide HIV pandemic.
Plan to attend our HIV workshop!
About the Center
The Texas Developmental-Center for AIDS Research (Texas D-CFAR) is a one-of-a-kind Center in Texas, a region of the United States that is heavily impacted by the HIV epidemic. The center:
- Conducts cutting-edge HIV research
- Catalyzes research collaborations across Texas
- trains the next generation of top HIV researchers and clinicians
- Engages our community to implement solutions that optimize HIV health and HIV prevention
Texas D-CFAR supports the overall mission of the national Center for AIDS Research (CFAR) program to end the HIV epidemic in the United States.
Why do we exist?
Texas needs a CFAR!
- More than half of HIV diagnoses in the United States are in the South, despite the South having only 38 percent of the U.S. population
- Texas ranks 3rd highest among U.S. states in the number of people newly diagnosed with HIV
- Over 91,000 people are currently living with diagnosed HIV in Texas
Become a Texas D-CFAR Member
Membership is available for faculty members and community members who are interested in HIV research. Membership is free.
What do we offer Texas D-CFAR members?
- State-of-the-art expertise and services to enrich the HIV research environment in Texas
- Funding for cutting-edge interdisciplinary pilot research projects
- Assistance in responding to HIV-related research grant opportunities
- Invitations to HIV presentations, seminars, an annual Texas D-CFAR conference, community outreach events, and inter-CFAR activities
- Mentorship through our robust mentoring program
Texas D-CFAR Home Institutions
Texas D-CFAR is a collaboration of three premiere institutions in Texas including: Baylor College of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center and Texas Biomedical Research Institute.
Conferences and Education
We host research conferences and education opportunities that will foster collaborations and lead to cutting-edge impactful HIV research that supports ending the HIV epidemic in the U.S. South and beyond.