About the Program
Saturday Morning Science (SMS) is a 12-week long program held on Saturdays throughout the year. SMS allows 6th-12th graders in Houston and surrounding areas to participate in interactive sessions designed to enhance exposure to STEM careers and topics (including basic scientific research, clinical research, medical careers, career development activities, and mentored small group experiences).
Due to COVID-19, “Saturday Morning Science Fall 2021” will be entirely virtual and consist of 2-hour virtual sessions (using Zoom) on six different Saturday mornings between mid-October and mid-December. The first half of the session will consist of an invited lecturer or large group activity, and the second half will consist of a small group interactive discussion facilitated by BCM faculty, students, or staff.
Due to the virtual nature of SMS Fall 2021, we encourage repeat applicants in addition to new applicants as we will have plenty of “space!”
Online Registration for SMS Fall 2021 is Open
This year’s program will take place from Oct. 16 through Dec. 18, 2021. Students must attend a minimum of four sessions to receive credit for the program.
Virtual Zoom sessions will take place on the following dates:
- Oct. 16, 2021
- Oct. 23, 2021
- Oct. 30, 2021
- Nov. 20, 2021
- Dec. 4, 2021
- Dec. 18, 2021
- Complete online application form below
- Application must be completed no later than Oct. 6, 2021. Late submissions will not be accepted
- Selected candidates will be notified of acceptance by Oct. 12, 2021
- Student must currently be in 6th – 12th grade.
- Be committed to attend a minimum of four sessions and participate in group discussion