How We Can Assist
The COE is available to support community-engaged research projects targeting catchment area priorities by facilitating community partnerships and through resource development and implementation.
As part of our ongoing assessment of the cancer burden in the DLDCCC catchment area, we utilize a community-based participatory research approach to monitor catchment area needs and ensure the equitable bi-directional exchange of knowledge between communities and researchers. To this end, COE works closely with the DLDCCC Community Advisory Board to identify community partners’ interests and priorities and serve as nexus for the communication and interactions between the community stakeholders and the DLDCCC Research Programs and Disease Working Groups.
Some of the topics where we may assist are:
- Description of the cancer burden and disparities in the DLDCCC catchment area
- Summaries of the demographics of the DLDCCC catchment area
- Summaries of the ethnic and racial characteristics of DLDCCC patients (by clinic)
- Facilitation of engagement with CAB members and other community stakeholders
- Consultation on cancer education resource development for patient, community/public, and provider instruction
- Consultation on grant applications or pilot projects addressing catchment area issues, health disparities, or community outreach and engagement
- Consultation to strengthen dissemination and implementation science research
- Participation of COE members in DLDCCC Disease Working Group as ad hoc members
- Support for educational efforts to increase minority participation in clinical research
We encourage faculty members interested in conducting research that addresses cancer disparities in the DLDCCC catchment area to request access to the online repository of resources available in Box titled DLDCCC Catchment Area Resources for Faculty. These resources include a summary of cancer burden and priorities for our catchment area, as well as slide set with additional information (i.e., maps, figures, graphs) about the DLDCCC catchment area priorities.
To Request Access to Box Folder “Catchment Area Resources for Faculty send an email to: DLDCCC-COE@bcm.edu.
Please contact us at DLDCCC-COE@bcm.edu, if you need additional information, have questions about the catchment area priorities, or would like to consult with us on community-engaged research, outreach and education support.
Learn More About Our Work
The COE employs multi-pronged strategies to engage with communities in our catchment area – most of this work is done by the Office of Outreach and Health Disparities. To learn about our work, we encourage you to visit the COE/Office of Outreach and Health Disparities website where we present community-engaged research collaborations, cancer prevention outreach programs, cancer education resources, clinical trials support and other ongoing efforts.