The Center for Medical Ethics and Health Policy partners with Houston Methodist to offer the five-day Intensive Bioethics Course in the Texas Medical Center. The course is productive, engaging, and covers fundamental bioethics topics and advanced clinical ethics skills.
This unique course emphasizes learning-by-doing with a practical and clinically based focus. Its learner-centered model enables sessions to be customized to individual needs for people who want more background and skills in clinical ethics consultation.
Download the 2021 Intensive Bioethics Course Virtual Agenda to see what will be offered in the course.
Dates and Fees
The five-day course is scheduled for April 18-22, 2022, and costs $2,000. Several discounts are available.
- Houston Methodist and Baylor College of Medicine physicians and other health care professionals: special rates apply. Please send inquiries to email@example.com
- Early bird discount of $200 applied to all participants that register by a certain advance date (TBD)
2022 Course Interest Form
Registration is not yet open. To fill out an interest form and be included on our mailing list, complete Course Interest Form.
Who Should Attend
- Individuals who regularly encounter complex ethical challenges in the healthcare setting and wish to receive advanced training
- Anyone interested in getting certified in health care ethics consultation
- Past participants are from all over the country with diverse backgrounds including: physicians, nurses, social workers, chaplains, patient advocates and patient representatives, risk managers, hospital administrators, and health care attorneys
What Other Ethics Consultants Say About the Course
- “The course delivered everything we expected and more.”
- “All I can say is I wish I had known about this course years ago! Outstanding and brilliant!”
- "Impressive credentials of faculty and speakers.”
- "Information was comprehensive and exactly what I needed.”
- “Great course and I have already recommended it to my colleagues.”
- “The breadth, expertise of speakers, energy of delivery, and attention to the needs and hopes of participants resulted in an outstanding conference.”
Upon completion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Identify five (or more) common ethical challenges or topics arising in patient care
- Develop ethically reasoned and practical strategies for addressing these ethical challenges
- Identify five (or more) approaches or strategies for navigating complex cases, including tips on mediation and facilitating family meetings
- Identify the procedural elements that every ethics consultant should undertake as part of his or her routine consultative activities for most (if not all) ethics consultations
Direct and Successful Outcomes
- Scored 4.9 out of 5 on fulfillment of the stated learning objectives
- Scored 4.7 out of 5 on overall course quality from participants surveyed
- 95 percent of participants stated they learned information that could be implemented into their clinical practice