While financial wellness is essential for all students, the specific needs of students who are and are not receiving financial aid vary. This page specifies the mandatory activities for all students as well as additional requirements for students receiving financial aid.
Requirements for All Students
The table below specifies which financial actions and topics are mandatory for students in each year of medical school. Students will be informed of when and how they need to complete each requirement via email from the Office of Financial Aid as well as notifications in school newsletters -- Thursday News and Sunday Weekly Class Announcements.
|Pre-Matriculation||Review email received from email@example.com on Feb. 1 with instructions on how to apply for financial aid.|
|Pre-Matriculation and Annually||Read Loan Type and Terms to learn about types of aid available to all eligible students|
|Annually||Online loan counseling required for all federal loan borrowers|
|MS1 Year||Group presentation to all aid recipients|
|MS1 Year Fall Semester||Building Your financial Know-How|
|MS1 Spring Semester||Banking Basics|
|MS2 Fall Semester||Building Your financial Know-How|
|MS3 Fall Semester||Energize Yourself Financially|
|MS 3 Spring Semester||DDASH: Residency Workshop: Student/Resident Panel: Financial Planning for Interviews (Planes, Trains, Ubers, Suits, Food, Hotels, Credit Cards)|
|MS4 Fall Semester||Your Credit Report|
|MS4 Spring Semester||APEX: New Found Wealth (what to do with your first several paychecks)|
Requirements for Students on Financial Aid
All students who receive financial aid are required to do the following annually before a disbursement is made:
- One-to-one Financial Aid Counseling – email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment
- Read the financial aid instructions: Medical Student Application Instructions
- Complete an online FAFSA at studentaid.gov.
- Complete a BCM on-line financial aid application Baylor Financial Aid Application for all programs except Health Professions. Available Feb. 1 for the upcoming year.
- Complete and e-sign master promissory notes at ecsi.net for each institutional loan accepted.
- For students who have not previously received a subsidized/unsubsidized loan or PLUS loan under the Direct Loan Program or Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program, or if it has been longer than 10 years since:
- Complete online entrance counseling at studentaid.gov for each federal loan accepted.
- Complete and e-sign master promissory notes at studentaid.gov for each federal loan accepted.