Alexander Sandweiss, MD, PhD
Alexander Sandweiss, MD, PhD
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- MD from University of Arizona
- 05/2018 - Tucson, Arizona
- PhD from University of Arizona
- 06/2016 - Arizona, Tucson
- BS from University of Arizona
- 05/2011 - Tucson
- Physiology, Music
Professional StatementAlex is originally from Phoenix, Arizona. He moved two hours south to Tucson, Arizona where he lived for 11 years while attending The University of Arizona. He studied physiology and music in undergrad, then began medical school and his PhD in pharmacology at The University of Arizona COM. For his PhD dissertation, Alex studied the role of the neuropeptide substance p in the neural circuitry of opioid reward, with the goal of developing a novel analgesic that lacks the potential for abuse.
Now in child neurology residency, his focus lies in training as a pediatric neurologist with a special research interest in nervous system autoimmune diseases such as encephalitis.
Child Neurology Residency video made and music scored by Alex Sandweiss
- Alexander J. Sandweiss, Vicky Brandt, Huda Y. Zoghbi "Advances in understanding Rett syndrome and MECP2 duplication syndrome: prospects for future therapies.”." The Lancet Neurology. 2020 August 1; 19 (8): 689-698.
- Alexander J. Sandweiss, Mary I. McIntosh, Aubin Moutal, Rachel Davidson-Knapp, Jackie Hu, Aswini K. Giri, Takashi Yamamoto, Victor J. Hruby, Rajesh Khanna, Tally M. Largent-Milnes, Todd W. Vanderah "Genetic and pharmacological antagonism of NK 1 receptor prevents opiate abuse potential." Molecular Psychiatry. 2018 August ; 23 (8): 1745-1755. Pubmed PMID: 28485408
- Alexander J. Sandweiss, Karissa E. Cottier, Mary I. McIntosh, Gregory Dussor, Thomas Davis, Todd W. Vanderah, Tally Largent-Milnes "17-β-estradiol induces cortical spreading depression and pain behavior in alert female rats." Oncotarget. 2017 December 9; 8 (69): 11409-114122. Pubmed PMID: 29371973
- Alexander J. Sandweiss, Asad Azim, Kareem Ibraheem, Tally M. Largent-Milnes, Peter Rhee, Todd W. Vanderah, Bellal Joseph "Remote ischemic conditioning preserves cognition and motor coordination in a mouse model of traumatic brain injury." Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2017 December ; 83 (6): 1074-1081. Pubmed PMID: 28609381
- Alexander J Sandweiss, Todd W Vanderah "The Pharmacology of Neurokinin Receptors in Addiction: Prospects for Therapy." Substance Abuse and Rehabilitation. 2015 September 7; 7 (6): 93-102. Pubmed PMID: 26379454
- Alexander J. Sandweiss, Mohammad Y Bader, Shalinkumar Patel, Ranjit I Kylat "A truncating variant of CHRNG as a cause of non-lethal Escobar Syndrome, a multiple ptrerygium syndrome subtype." Journal of Pediatric Genetics. 2020 August 26; :
- David Farrier, Alexander J. Sandweiss, Brittnie Bartlett, Farida Abid "Case report: potential role of growth hormone in a pediatric transient ischemic attack." Journal of Pediatric Neurology. 2020 August ; :
- Alexander J. Sandweiss, Christopher Morrison, Anne Spichler, John Rozich "A case report of clonidine induced syncope: a review of central actions of an old cardiovascular drug." 2018 February 13; 19 (1): 6.
- Pouran Malekzadeh, Jackie Hu, Alexander J. Sandweiss, Nina Ameli, Tally M. Largent-Milnes, Todd W. Vanderah, Farshad Shirazi "Effect of centruroides antivenom on reversal of methamphetamine induced hyperkinesis and hyperthermia in rats." The Journal of Pharmaceutics and Pharmacology. 2017 April ; 5 (1): 1-5. Pubmed PMID: 29354652
- Ruben S. Vardanyan, James P. Cain, Sahgar Mowlazadeh Haghighi, Vlad K. Kumirov, Mary I. McIntosh, Alexander J. Sandweiss, Frank Porreca, Victor J. Hruby "Synthesis and investigation of mixed μ- and δ-opioid agonists as possible bivalent ligands for treatment of pain." Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry. 2017 March 1; 54 (2): 1228-1235. Pubmed PMID: 28819330
- Cyf N. Ramos-Colon, Yeon Sun Lee, Michael Remesic, Sara M. Hall, Justin LaVigne, Peg Davis, Alexander J. Sandweiss, Mary I. McIntosh, Jessica Hanson, Tally M. Largent-Milnes, Todd W. Vanderah, John Streicher, Frank Porreca, Victor J. Hruby "Structure Activity Relationships of [des-Arg7]- Dynorphin A Analogues at the Kappa Opioid Receptor." Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 2016 November 23; 59 (22): 10291-10298. Pubmed PMID: 27797517
- Yeon Sun Lee, Dhanasekaran Muthu, Sara M. Hall, Cyf Ramos-Colon, David Rankin, Jackie Hu, Alexander J. Sandweiss, Milena De Felice, Jennifer Yanhua Xie, Todd W. Vanderah, Frank Porreca, Josephine Lai, and Victor J. Hruby "Discovery of Amphipathic Dynorphin A Analogues to Inhibit the Neuroexcitatory Effects of Dynorphin A through Bradykinin Receptors in the Spinal Cord." Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2014 May 7; 136 (18): 6608-6616. Pubmed PMID: 24742335
- Alexander T. Podolsky, Alexander Sandweiss, Jackie Hu, Edward J. Bilsky, Jim P. Cain, Vlad K. Kumirov, Yeon Sun Lee, Victor J. Hruby, Ruben S. Vardanyan, Todd W. Vanderah "Novel fentanyl-based dual μ/δ-opioid agonists for the treatment of acute and chronic pain." Life Sciences. 2013 December 18; 93 (25): 1010-1016. Pubmed PMID: 24084045
- American Academy of Neurology
- Child Neurology Society
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Animating cellular biology and pharmacology
- Multimedia/media arts
Log In to edit your profile