- Assistant Professor
Medicine - Endocrinology
Baylor College of Medicine
- Alkek Building for Biomedical Research (Office)
Houston, TX 77030
- PhD from Case Western Reserve University
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at University of Pennsylvania
- The impacts of environmental factors and genetic background on physiological rhythms using cutting-edge functional epigenomic approaches.
Professional StatementCircadian rhythms allow mammals to anticipate daily environmental changes and maintain physiological homeostasis. Circadian misalignment is correlated to many metabolic diseases based on epidemiological studies. For example, night shift workers and individuals with sleep disorders are at increased risk of obesity, diabetes, and related metabolic diseases, similar to the effects of overnutrition. The PI has established a connection between circadian remodeling and metabolic dysfunction associated with fatty liver disease in diet-induced obesity mice (Cell 2018 PMID: 30057115 and Science 2020 PMID: 32732282). The recent research focus in the Guan lab includes investigating the impacts of environmental factors and genetic background on physiological rhythms using cutting-edge functional epigenomic approaches. The Guan lab is highly collaborative and integrative of unbiased multiple-omics and loss-of-function tools to develop innovative chrono-pharmacological and chrono-nutritive therapeutic strategies relating to metabolic diseases and cancer.
The Guan Lab is looking for talented individuals to join our team. We value dedication, collaboration, a positive attitude, and perseverance. The lab is currently receiving graduate students at BCM for rotation and recruiting postdoctoral researchers and research technicians.
- Fang B, Guan D, Lazar MA. "Using GRO-Seq to Measure Circadian Transcription and Discover Circadian Enhancers." Methods Mol Biol. 2021 2130 : 127-148. Pubmed PMID: 33284441
- Guan D, Xiong Y, Trinh TM, Xiao Y, Hu W, Jiang C, Dierickx P, Jang C, Rabinowitz JD, Lazar MA. "The hepatocyte clock and feeding control chronophysiology of multiple liver cell types." Science. 2020 September 11; 369 (6509): 1388-1394. Pubmed PMID: 32732282
- Guan D, Lazar MA. "Shining light on dark matter in the genome.." Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2019 December 10; 116 (50): 24919-24921. Pubmed PMID: 31740615
- Guan D, Xiong Y, Borck PC, Jang C, Doulias PT, Papazyan R, Fang B, Jiang C, Zhang Y, Briggs ER, Hu W, Steger D, Ischiropoulos H, Rabinowitz JD, Lazar MA. "Diet-Induced Circadian Enhancer Remodeling Synchronizes Opposing Hepatic Lipid Metabolic Processes." Cell. 2018 August 9; 174 (4): 831-842.
- Guan D, Lazar MA. "Interconnections between circadian clocks and metabolism." J Clin Invest. 2021 August 2; 131 (5): e148278. Pubmed PMID: 34338232
- Recruitment of First-Time, Tenure-Track Faculty Members Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas
- CPRIT Scholar
- Mentored Research Scientist Career Development Award (K01) NIDDK
Log In to edit your profile