- Senior Faculty
Division of Surgical Oncology
Baylor College of Medicine
- Director, Translational and Innovations Research
Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery
- Director, Interdisciplinary Surgical Technology and Innovation Center (INSTINCT)
Michael E. DeBakey Department of Surgery
- Alkek Building for Biomedical Research (Lab)
Houston, TX 77030
- BS from State University of Campinas
- Campinas, Sãn Paulo, Brazil
- PhD from Purdue University
- West Lafayette, Indiana
- Analytical Chemistry
- Research Fellowship at Stanford University
- Stanford, California
- Mass spectrometry
- Cancer diagnosis
- Medical devices
Professional StatementDr. Eberlin received a bachelor’s in chemistry from the State University of Campinas in Sao Paulo, Brazil, and a Ph.D. in analytical chemistry from Purdue University. She went on to complete a research fellowship in the Department of Chemistry at Stanford University in California. Prior to joining Baylor College of Medicine, Dr. Eberlin was an assistant professor in the Departments of Chemistry, Oncology and Diagnostic Medicine at The University of Texas at Austin.
Dr. Eberlin and her research team are the recipients of many honors and awards for their scientific research, including a NIH/NCI K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award, a Forbes 30 under 30 listing in the Healthcare category, a Moore Inventor Fellowship, and a MacArthur Fellowship in 2018. Her research group is funded by grants from the NIH, CPRIT and other research foundations. Additionally, Dr. Eberlin has published more than 80 peer-reviewed research articles in top-rated journals such as PNAS, Science Translational Medicine, Nature Communications, Cancer Research, and Clinical Chemistry.
Dr. Eberlin’s research program centers around the development and application of novel mass spectrometry technologies in health-related research, with a particular focus on disease detection and diagnosis to improve patient care and clinical outcomes.
- M. E. King, J. Zhang, J. Q. Lin, K. Y. Garza, R. J. DeHoog, C. L. Feider, A. Bensussan, M. Sans, A. Krieger, S. Badal, M. F. Keating, S. Woody, S. Dhingra, W. Yu, C. Pirko, K. A. Brahmbhatt, G. Van Buren, W. E. Fisher, J. Suliburk, and L. S. Eberlin "Rapid diagnosis and tumor margin assessment during pancreatic cancer surgery with the MasSpec Pen technology." PNAS.
- J. Zhang, M. Sans, R. J. DeHoog, K. Y. Garza, M. E. King, C. L. Feider, A. Bensussan, M. F. Keating, et al. "Clinical Translation and Evaluation of a Handheld and Biocompatible Mass Spectrometry Probe for Surgical Use." Clinical Chemistry.
- A. V. Bensussan, J. Lin, C. Guo, R. Katz, S. Krishnamurthy, E. Cressman, and L. S. Eberlin "Distinguishing Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer Subtypes in Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsies by Desorption Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry Imaging." Clinical Chemistry.
- M. F. Keating, J. Zhang, C. L. Feider, S. Retailleau, R. Reid, A. Antaris, B. Hart, G. Tan, T. E. Milner, K. Miller, and L. S. Eberlin "Integrating the MasSpec Pen to the da Vinci Surgical System for In Vivo Tissue Analysis during a Robotic Assisted Porcine Surgery." Analytical Chemistry.
- J. Zhang, S. Q. Li, J. Q. Lin, W. Yu, and L. S. Eberlin "Mass Spectrometry Imaging enables Discrimination of Renal Oncocytoma from Renal Cell Cancer Subtypes and Normal Kidney Tissues." Cancer Research.
- C. L. Feider, S. Woody, S. Ledet, J. Zhang, K. Sebastian, M. T. Breen, and L. S. Eberlin "Molecular Imaging of Endometriosis Tissues using Desorption Electrospray Ionization Mass Spectrometry." Scientific Reports.
- M. Sans, J. Zhang, J. Q. Lin, C. L. Feider, N. Giese, M. T. Breen, K. Sebastian, J. Liu, A. K. Sood, and L. S. Eberlin "Performance of the MasSpec Pen for Rapid Diagnosis of Ovarian Cancer." Clinical Chemistry.
- J. Zhang, J. Rector, J. Q. Lin, J. H. Young, M. Sans, N. Katta, N. Giese, W. Yu, C. Nagi, J. Suliburk, J. Liu, A. Bensussan, R. J. DeHoog, K. Y. Garza, B. Ludolph, A. G. Sorace, A. Syed, A. Zahedivash, T. E. Milner, and L. S. Eberlin "Nondestructive tissue analysis for ex vivo and in vivo cancer diagnosis using a handheld mass spectrometry system." Science Translational Medicine.
- M. Sans, K. M. Gharpure, R. Tibshirani, J. Zhang, L. Liang, J. Liu, J. H. Young, R. Dood, A. K. Sood, and L. Eberlin "Metabolic Markers and Statistical Prediction of Serous Ovarian Cancer Aggressiveness by Ambient Ionization Mass Spectrometry Imaging." Cancer Research.
- J. Zhang, W. Yu, S. Ryu, J. Lin, G. Buentello, R. Tibshirani, J. Suliburk, and L. Schiavinato Eberlin "Cardiolipins are biomarkers of mitochondria-rich thyroid oncocytic tumors." Cancer Research.
Log In to edit your profile