Shah, MD, MS
Shah, MD, MS
- Associate Professor
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- Texas Children's Hospital (Hospital)
6621 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (832) 824-5497
- Residency at Boston Children's Hospital
- 06/2004 - Boston, Massachusetts United States
- MD from University Of California, Irvine
- 06/2001 - Irvine, California United States
- BS from University Of California, Davis
- 03/1997 - Davis, California United States
- Fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine/Texas Children's Hospital
- 06/2007 - Houston, Texas United States
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- MS from University of Texas, Houston--Health Sciences Center
- 05/2015 - Houston, Texas United States
- Clinical Research
- American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Emergency Medicine
- Pediatric Prehospital Care
Professional StatementI am passionate about improving pediatric prehospital care on local, statewide and national levels through advocacy, education, and research. As a former appointed member of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Emergency Medical Services Advisory Committee (NEMSAC) from 2015-2017 and a past chair of the Emergency Medical Services (EMS) subcommittee for the American Academy of Pediatrics Section of Emergency Medicine from 2011-2014, I have collaborated with stakeholders to enhance awareness of issues of national significance in pediatric prehospital care. To equip the workforce, I have obtained Texas Children’s Hospital Educational Award funding several times to collaborate with colleagues across the country to develop an online EMS educational resource for physicians, co-create the curriculum and educational research for the Pediatric Simulation Training of Emergency Prehospital Providers (PediSTEPPs) program at TCH, and develop an EMS training curriculum for the Botswana Ministry of Health. In addition, I have lectured at the National Association of EMS Physicians (NAEMSP) and Emergency Medical Services for Children (EMSC) Annual Meetings to promote understanding of the special needs of children in the prehospital environment. Through funding from the Health Resources and Services Administration’s (HRSA) EMSC program, I have served as the Director of the EMSC State Partnership in Texas from 2009-2017. I have also been a member of the Executive Core of the national EMSC Innovation and Improvement Center (EIIC) from 2016-2018 and led the Prehospital and State Partnership domains for the EIIC. Through these administrative EMSC roles, I have advocated for enhanced pediatric capability of EMS systems in Texas and the nation, conducted health services research on the capability of the EMS and trauma system to care for children, and educated prehospital providers on pediatric care. My primary research interest is to move prehospital care beyond the use of consensus-based treatment protocols, and I collaborated with the national EMSC program and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) to test the Prehospital Evidence-Based Guideline Model to develop a pediatric prehospital seizure protocol. I have been the Principal Investigator (PI) for two HRSA/EMSC Targeted Issues grants to study outcomes after implementation of evidence-based pediatric guidelines in large EMS systems in Texas and/or statewide EMS systems in New England. These evidence-based guidelines have been nationally disseminated through integration in the National Association of State EMS Officials (NASEMSO) Model Clinical EMS Guidelines. Since 2013, I have also been the site PI for the Charlotte, Houston, and Milwaukee Prehospital (CHaMP) research node, which conducts research in the HRSA/EMSC-funded Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN).
CHaMP is a node of the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN). CHaMP is composed of three diverse EMS agencies, located in Charlotte NC, Milwaukee WI, and Houston TX. By collaborating with Emergency Medical Services (EMS) agencies and first responders in three distinct areas of the nation, CHaMP guarantees that its focus and objectives maintain relevance and importance in an area of medicine where every second counts. The CHaMP investigators are dedicated to conducting research to optimize medical care for children in the prehospital setting. Together, investigators and health care providers aim to deliver studies, training, and education in pediatric emergency medicine.
- Shah MI, Macias CG, Dayan PS, Weik TS, Brown KM, Fuchs SM, Fallat ME, Wright, JL, Lang ES "An Evidence-Based Guideline for Pediatric Prehospital Seizure Management Using GRADE Methodology." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2014 January ; 18 (1): 15-24. Pubmed PMID: 24298939
- Fortescue EB, Shin AY, Greenes DS, Mannix RC, Agarwal S, Feldman BJ, Shah MI, Rifai N, Landzberg MJ, Newburger JW, Almond CS "Cardiac troponin increases among runners in the Boston Marathon.." Ann Emerg Med. 2007 February ; 49 (2): 137-43, 143.e1. Pubmed PMID: 17145114
- Carey JM and Shah MI "Pediatric Prehospital Seizure Management." Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine. 2014 March ; 15 (1): 59-65.
- Shah, MI "Prehospital Management of Pediatric Trauma." Clinical Pediatric Emergency Medicine. 2010 March ; 11 (1): 10-17.
- Shah MI, Caviness AC, and Mendez DR "Prospective Pilot Derivation of a Decision Tool for Children at Low Risk for Testicular Torsion." Acad Emerg Med. 2013 March ; 20 (2): 271-278. Pubmed PMID: 23517259
- Ngo TL, Belli K, Shah MI. "EMSC Program Manager Survey on Education of Prehospital Providers." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2014 July ; 18 (3): 424-428. Pubmed PMID: 24548019
- Doughty CB, Pearson N, Mondragon J, Arnold JL, Ngo TL, Shah MI. "Simulation-Based Pediatric Resuscitation Curriculum for Pre-hospital Providers." MedEd PORTAL. 2014 November ; :
- Brown KM, Macias CG, Dayan PS, Shah MI, Weik TS, Wright JL, Lang ES "The Development of Evidence-Based Prehospital Guidelines Using a GRADE-Based Methodology." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2014 January ; 18 (1): 3-14. Pubmed PMID: 24279739
- Lerner EB, Drendel AL, Falcone RA, Weitze KC, Badaway MK, Cooper A, Cushman JT, Drayna PC, Gourlay DM, Gray MP, Shah MI, Shah MN "A Consensus-Based Criterion Standard Definition for Pediatric Patients Who Needed the Highest Level Trauma Team Activation." Journal of Trauma and Acute Care Surgery. 2015 78 (3): 634-638. Pubmed PMID: 25710438
- Browne LR, Shah MI, Studnek JR, Farrell BM, Mattrisch LM, Reynolds S, Ostermayer DG, Brousseau DC, Lerner EB "2015 Pediatric Research Priorities in Prehospital Care." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2016 : Pubmed PMID: 26808233
- Browne LR, Studnek JR, Shah MI, Brousseau DC, Guse CE, Lerner EB "Prehospital Opioid Administration in the Emergency Care of Injured Children." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2016 January ; 20 (1): 59-65. Pubmed PMID: 26727339
- Miller JO, Thammasitboon S, Hsu DC, Shah MI, Minard CG, Graf JM "Continuing Medical Education for Air Medical Providers: The Successes and Challenges." Pediatric Emergency Care. 2016 :
- Browne LR, Shah MI, Studnek JR, Ostermayer DG, Reynolds S, Guse C, Brousseau DC, Lerner EB "Multicenter Evaluation of Prehospital Opioid Pain Management in Children." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2016 20 (6): 759-767. Pubmed PMID: 27411064
- Ayub EM, Sampayo EM, Shah MI, Doughty CB "Prehospital Providers’ Perceptions on Providing Patient and Family Centered Care." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2017 21 (2): 233-241. Pubmed PMID: 27858502
- Glomb NW, Shah MI, Cruz AT "Prioritising Minimum Standards of Emergency Care for Children in Resource-Limited Settings." Paediatrics and International Child Health. 2016 : Pubmed PMID: 27679955
- Remick K, Gross T, Adelgais K, Shah MI, Leonard JC, Gausche-Hill M "Resource Document: Coordination of Pediatric Emergency Care in EMS Systems." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2017 :
- Shah MI, Carey JM, Rapp SE, Masciale M, Alcanter WB, Mondragon JA, Camp EA, Prater SJ, Doughty CB "Impact of High-Fidelity Pediatric Simulation on Paramedic Seizure Management." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2016 20 (4): 499-507.
- Hathcock A, Shah MI, Dietrich JE, Sampayo EM "A Rare Cause of Pelvic Pain in a Teenage Girl." Journal of Education and Teaching in Emergency Medicine. 2018 3 (3): V18-19.
- Kosoko AA, Glomb NW, Saha S, Rus MC, Shah MI, Galapi C, Laba B, Doughty CB "A Simulation-Based Course for Prehospital Providers in a Developing Emergency Medical Response System." Journal of Education and Teaching in Emergency Medicine. 2019 4 (4): 195-311.
- Woods R, Shah MI, Doughty CB, Gilchrest AD "A Survey of Restraint Methods for the Safe Transport of Children in Ground Ambulances." Pediatric Emergency Care. 2018 34 (3): 149-153. Pubmed PMID: 29494459
- Studnek JR, Lerner EB, Shah MI, Browne LR, Brousseau DC, Cushman JT, Dayan PS, Drayna PC, Drendel AL, Gray MP, Kahn CA, Meyer MT, Shah MN, Stanley RM "Consensus-Based Criterion Standard for the Identification of Pediatric Patients Who Need Emergency Medical Services Transport to a Hospital with Higher-Level Pediatric Resources." Academic Emergency Medicine. 2018 25 (12): 1409-1414. Pubmed PMID: 30281884
- Quinones C, Shah MI, Cruz AT, Graf JM, Mondragon JA, Camp EA, Reddy P, Sampayo EM "Determinants of Pediatric EMS Utilization in Children with High-Acuity Conditions." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2018 22 (6): 676-690. Pubmed PMID: 29565717
- Glomb NW, Shah MI, Kosoko AA, Doughty CB, Galapi C, Laba B, Rus MC "Educational Impact of a Pilot Paediatric Simulation-Based Training Course in Botswana." BMJ Simulation and Technology Enhanced Learning. 2019 : Epub ahead of print.
- Kosoko AA, Glomb NW, Laba B, Galapi C, Shah MI, Rus MC, Doughty CB "Evaluating a Novel Simulation Course for Prehospital Provider Resuscitation Training in Botswana." Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2019 20 (5): 731-739. Pubmed PMID: 31539330
- Chumpitazi CE, Caviness AC, Grawe GH, Camp EA, Shah MI "Evaluation of Hydrocodone/Acetaminophen for Pediatric Laceration Repair: A Randomized Trial." Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2020 145 (1): 126e-134e. Pubmed PMID: 31881621
- Cruz AT, Doughty CB, Hsu DC, Chumpitazi CE, Samp "Focused Research Infrastructure for Postgraduate Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellows Increases Dissemination of Scholarly Work." Academic Emergency Medicine Education and Training. 2019 : Epub ahead of print.
- Ostermayer DG, Camp EA, Langabeer JR, Brown CA, Mondragon J, Persse DE, Shah MI "Impact of an Extraglottic Device on Pediatric Airway Management in an Urban Prehospital System." Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2019 20 (6): 962-969. Pubmed PMID: 31738725
- Nassif A, Ostermayer DG, Hoang KB, Claiborne MK, Camp EA, Shah MI "Implementation of a Prehospital Protocol Change for Asthmatic Children." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2018 22 (4): 457-465. Pubmed PMID: 29351496
- Marino MC, Ostermayer DG, Mondragon JA, Camp EA, Keating EM, Fornage LB, Brown CA, Shah MI "Improving Prehospital Protocol Adherence Using Bundled Educational Interventions." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2018 22 (3): 361-369. Pubmed PMID: 29364730
- Lerner EB, Studnek JR, Fumo N, Banerjee A, Arapi I, Browne LR, Ostermayer DG, Reynolds S, Shah MI "Multicenter Analysis of Transport Destinations for Pediatric Prehospital Patients." Academic Emergency Medicine. 2019 26 (5): 510-516. Pubmed PMID: 30343530
- Glomb NW, Kosoko AA, Doughty CB, Rus MC, Shah MI, Cox M, Galapi C, Parkes PS, Kumar S, Laba B "Needs Assessment for Simulation Training for Prehospital Providers in Botswana." Prehospital and Disaster Medicine. 2018 33 (6): 621-626. Pubmed PMID: 30419999
- Carey JM, Studnek JR, Browne LR, Ostermayer DG, Grawey T, Schroter S, Lerner EB, Shah MI "Paramedic-Identified Enablers of and Barriers to Seizure Management: A Multicenter, Qualitative Study." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2019 23 (6): 870-881. Pubmed PMID: 30917730
- Herman MJ, Brown KO, Sponseller PD, Phillips JH, Petrucelli PM, Parikh DJ, Mody KS, Leonard JC, Moront M, Brockmeyer DL, Anderson RCE, Alder AC, Anderson JT, Bernstein RM, Booth TN, Braga BP, Cahill PJ, Joglar JM, Martus JE... Shah MI, Warner WC, Yaszay B "Pediatric Cervical Spine Clearance: A Consensus Statement and Algorithm from the Pediatric Cervical Spine Clearance Working Group." Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2019 101 (1): e1. Pubmed PMID: 30601421
- Moore BR, Shah MI (co-lead author), Owusu-Ansah S, Gross T, Brown KM, Gausche-Hill M, Remick K, Adelgais K, Lyng J, Rappaport L, Snow S, Wright-Johnson C, Leonard JC "Pediatric Readiness in Emergency Medical Services Systems; Policy Statement." Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2020 75 (1): e1-e6. Pubmed PMID: 31866028
- Owusu-Ansah, Moore BR, Shah MI, Gross T, Brown K, Gausche-Hill M, Remick K, Adelgais K, Rappaport L, Snow S, Wright-Johnson C, Leonard JC, Lyng L, Fallat M "Pediatric Readiness in Emergency Medical Services Systems; Technical Report." Pediatrics. 2020 145 (1): Pubmed PMID: 31857378
- Hewes HA, Ely M, Richards R, Shah MI, Busch S, Pilkey D, Hert KD, Olson LM "Ready for Children: Assessing Pediatric Care Coordination and Psychomotor Skills Evaluation in the Prehospital Setting." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2019 23 (4): 510-518. Pubmed PMID: 30380953
- Krennerich E, Sitler CG, Shah MI, Lam F, Graf J "Retrospective Review of Pediatric Transport: Where Do Our Patients Go After Transport?." Air Medical Journal. 2017 36 (6): 332-338. Pubmed PMID: 29132597
- Studnek JR, Browne LR, Shah MI, Fumo N, Hansen M, Lerner EB "Validity of the Pediatric Early Warning Score and the Bedside Pediatric Early Warning Score in Classifying Patients Who Require the Resources of a Higher Level Pediatric Hospital." Prehospital Emergency Care. 2019 : Epub ahead of print. Pubmed PMID: 31339430
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- Member (07/2005)
- National Association of EMS Physicians
- Member (06/2010)
- Charlotte, Houston, and Milwaukee Prehospital (CHaMP) Research Node of the Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network (PECARN) - #U03MC33154
- $428,394.00 (09/01/2019 - 08/31/2023) Grant funding from Health Resources and Services Administration
- Site principal investigator for a multi-center pediatric emergency care research network.
Log In to edit your profile