Sebastian Acosta, Ph.D.
Sebastian Acosta, Ph.D.
- Assistant Professor
Predictive Analytics Laboratory
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- PhD from Rice University
- 05/2014 - Houston, Texas United States
- Computational and Applied Mathematics, Biomechanics and Inverse Problems
- MS from Brigham Young University
- 05/2011 - Provo, Utah United States
- Mathematics, Partial Differential Equations
- BS from Brigham Young University
- 05/2009 - Provo, Utah United States
- Mechanical Engineering, Fluid Dynamics
Honors & Awards
- AMS-Simons Travel Grant 2015-2017
- BP Scholarship Award in Science 2012
- Selected Participant SIAM Summer School on Waves and Imaging 2011
- Graduate Research Award BYU Math 2011
- Graduate Research Fellowship BYU Math 2010
- Orson Pratt Prize for most outstanding graduating senior, BYU Math 2009
- Brigham Young Bicentennial Scholar
- World Young Researchers for the Environment WYRE 2000
- NSF-DMS Grant
- 07/2017 - 06/2020
- Computational Biomechanics
- Inverse Problems and Imaging
- Machine Learning, predictive analytics for critical care
Professional StatementAdvanced computational methods and artificial intelligence are becoming a promising factor to improve the assessment and treatment of pathological conditions. My goal is to further this line of scientific endeavor and reinforce the translation of quantitative methods into clinical practice. I am an interdisciplinary scientist who works at the interface between mathematics, statistics, engineering and medicine. My areas of expertise are biomechanics, computational science, and mathematical and statistical methods of inference. Current applications include predictive analytics for the deterioration of CVICU patients, for hemodynamic irregularities, photoacoustic imaging, decision-making, and planning/scheduling optimization.
- S. Acosta, D. Penny, C. Rusin "An effective model of blood flow in capillary beds." Microvasc. Res.. 2015 100 : 40-47.
- S. Acosta and C. Montalto "Multiwave imaging in an enclosure with variable wave speed." Inverse Problems. 2015 31 : 065009.
- S. Acosta, C. Puelz, B. Riviere, D. Penny, C. Rusin "Numerical method of characteristics for one-dimensional blood flow." J. COmput. Phys.. 2015 294 : 96-109.
- S. Acosta "A control approach to recover the wave speed (conformal factor) from one measurement." Inverse Prob & Imaging. 2015 9 : 301-315.
- S. Acosta "On-surface radiation condition for multiple scattering of waves." Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engrg. 2015 283 : 1296-1309.
- S. Acosta "Time reversal for radiative transport with applications to inverse and control problems." Inverse Problems. 2013 29 : 085014.
- S. Acosta, S. Chow, J. Taylor, V. Villamizar "On the multi-frequency inverse source problem in heterogeneous media." Inverse Prob.. 2012 28 : 075013.
- C. Rusin, S. Acosta, L. Shekerdemian, E. Vu, A. Bavare, R. Myers, L. Patterson, K. Brady, D. Penny "Prediction of imminent, severe deterioration of children with parallel circulations using real-time processing of physiologic data." J. Thoracic Cardiovasc. Surg.. 2016 152 : 171-177.
- S. Acosta "Recovery of the absorption coefficient in radiative transport from a single measurement." Inverse Probl & Imaging. 2015 9 : 289-300.
- S. Acosta, R. Alonso, L. Borcea "Source estimation with incoherent waves in random waveguides." Inverse Prob.. 2015 31 : 035013.
- R. Wagner, S. Acosta, S. Glasgow, Q. Su, and R. Grobe "Quantum fluctuations in the dressed vacuum of a bosonic model system." J. Phys. A. 2012 45 : 275303.
- S. Acosta, V. Villamizar and B. Malone "The DtN nonreflecting boundary condition for multiple scattering problems in the half-plane." Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engrg. 2012 217 : 1-11.
- S. Acosta, D. Penny, K. Brady, C. Rusin "An effective model of cerebrovascular pressure reactivity and blood flow autoregulation." Microvascular Research. 2018 115 : 34-43.
- S. Acosta, M. Ahmed, S. Yin, K. Brady, D. Penny, C. Rusin "A robust Fourier-based method to measure pulse pressure variability." Biomedical Signal Processing and Control. 2020 60 : 101947.
- S. Acosta, C. Puelz, D. Penny, B. Riviere, K. Brady, C. Rusin "Cardiovascular mechanics in the early stages of pulmonary hypertension." Biomech. Model. Mechanobio.. 2017 :
- S. Acosta "High order surface radiation conditions for time-harmonic waves in exterior domains." Comput. Meth. Appl. Mech. Egnrg.. 2017 32 : 296-310.
- Barbara-Jo Achuff; Brady Moffett; Sebastian Acosta; Javier Lasa; Paul Checchia; Craig Rusin "Hemodynamic response to IV Acetaminophen in pediatric cardiac patients." Critical Care Medicine. 2018 January ; 46 (1): 28.
- B. Achuff, J. Achuff, H. Park, B. Moffett, S. Acosta, C. Rusin, P. Checchia "Epinephrine syringe exchange events in a paediatric cardiovascular ICU: analysing the storm." Cardiology in the Young. 2017 December ; : 1-7.
- S. Acosta and V. Villamizar "Coupling of Dirichlet-to-Neumann boundary condition and finite difference methods in curvilinear coordinates for multiple scattering." J. Comput. Phys.. 2010 229 : 5498–5517.
- B-J. Achuff, B. Moffett, S. Acosta, J. Lasa, P. Checchia, C. Rusin "Hypotensive response to IV Acetaminophen in pediatric cardiac patients." Pediatr. Crit. Care Med.. 2019 January ; : Pubmed PMID: 30676493
- S. Acosta, B. Palacios "Thermoacoustic tomography using an integro-differential wave equation modeling attenuation." J. Diff. Equations. 2018 264 : 1984-2010.
- C. Puelz, S. Acosta, B. Riviere, D. Penny, K. Brady, C. Rusin "A computational study of the Fontan circulation with fenestration or hepatic vein exclusion." Computers in Biology and Medicine. 2017 89 : 405-418.
- V. Villamizar, S. Acosta, B. Dastrup "High order local absorbing boundary conditions for acoustic waves in terms of farfield expansions." J. Comput. Phys.. 2017 333 : 331-351.
- S. Acosta and V. Villamizar "Generation of smooth grids with line control for scattering from multiple obstacles." Math. Comput. Simul.. 2009 79 : 2506-2520.
- S. Acosta and V. Villamizar "Finite differences on grids with nearly uniform cell area and line spacing for the wave equation on complex domains." J. Comp. Appl. Math.. 2010 234 : 1970-1979.
- S. Acosta and V. Villamizar "Elliptic grids with nearly uniform cell area and line spacing." Elect. Trans. Num. Anal. ETNA.. 2009 34 : 59-75.
- S. Acosta and P. Acosta "Numerical wave scattering taking account of energy dissipation and media stiffness." SIAM J. Undergrad. Research Online.. 2008 1 : 100-119.
- S. Acosta "Recovery of pressure and wave speed for photoacoustic imaging under a condition of relative uncertainty." Inverse Problems. 2019 35 (11): 115013.
- S Acosta "Well-posedness for photoacoustic tomography with Fabry-Perot sensors." SIAM J. Imag. Sciences. 2019 12 (4): 1669-1685.
- D. Rios, C. Rhee, L. Elizondo, K. Brady, C. Rusin, S. Acosta "Creatinine filtration kinetics in critically ill neonates." Pediatric Research. 2020 May 26; :
- M. Ahmed et al. "Multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children: A systematic review." EClinicalMedicine. 2020 September ; 26 : 100527.
- AHA: American Heart Association
- SIAM: Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Collaborative Research: Improved Algorithms for Multiwave Imaging in Complex Media: Theory and Computation - #1712725 (07/15/2017 - 06/30/2020) Grant funding from NSF-DMS
Log In to edit your profile