Stephanie Sisley, M.D.
Stephanie Sisley, M.D.
- Assistant Professor
Baylor College of Medicine
Houston, TX US
- TCH- Clinical Care Center (Clinic) (Clinic)
6701 Fannin St.
Houston, TX 77030
Phone: (832) 822-3670
- MD from Indiana University School of Medicine
- 05/2005 - Indianapolis, Indiana United States
- Residency at Indiana University School of Medicine
- 06/2008 - Indianapolis, Indiana United States
- Clinical Fellowship at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- 06/2008 - Cincinnati, Ohio United States
- Postdoctoral Fellowship at Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center
- 12/2012 - Cincinnati, Ohio United States
- American Board of Pediatrics
- Pediatric Endocrinology
- American Board of Pediatrics
Honors & Awards
- Associate Program Director
- I was the APD for the pediatric endocrinology fellowship for 3.5 years. As a part of that, I developed a Team-Based learning curriculum which was well received by the fellows.
- Pediatric Endocrine Fellowship (06/2016 - 12/2020)
- Associate Research Director
- Texas Children's Pediatric Endocrinology Division (01/2021)
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Vitamin D Regulation
Professional StatementAs a pediatric endocrinologist, I am well trained in the medical management of obesity and type 2 diabetes. Although I have observed vastly different clinical phenotypes of obesity, I am unable as a clinician to effectively treat these patients with the current medical therapies. Thus, I am highly motivated to increase medical knowledge on the pathogenesis of obesity and diabetes and translate it into more clinically effective therapies, specifically for the pediatric population. During my clinical endocrinology fellowship, I was mentored by Drs. Randy Seeley and Darleen Sandoval, experts in the brain’s control of weight and glucose. I used the knowledge from their expertise to investigate the mechanism behind a common clinical correlation: vitamin D deficiency and different components of the metabolic syndrome (including obesity and type 2 diabetes). I chose to defer accepting a faculty position as a pediatric endocrinologist to invest additional time into research training. My research has shown an important effect of vitamin D directly in the brain to lower blood sugar levels. Additionally, we have shown that loss of the vitamin D receptor in the brain impairs glucose tolerance. We have also developed a new mouse model to identify vitamin D receptor positive cells.
In clinical research, I am the site PI for two different multi-center studies. The first is the Teen-LABS study, led by Dr. Tom Inge and funded by the NIH, investigates the effects of bariatric surgery in adolescents. The second is a pharmaceutical Phase 2 trial funded by Rhythm Pharmaceuticals investigating the effectiveness of setmelanotide to lower body weight in different genetic forms of obesity.
From a clinical standpoint, I am the Medical Director of the Center for Genetic Disorders of Obesity at Texas Children's Hospital. Together with Dr. Claudia Soler-Alfonso, a pediatric geneticist, we evaluate the cause of severe weight gain that occurs prior to age 5 years old. We have performed qualitative research with parents of these children that shows these parents face significant barriers within their own family as well as from the medical community as they try to care for their children. Additionally, we are currently building a registry and plan to perform translational studies in the future.
- Sisley S, Sandoval D "Hypothalamic control of energy and glucose metabolism.." Rev Endocr Metab Disord. 2011 September ; 12 (3): 219-33. Pubmed PMID: 21695389
- Chambers AP, Stefater MA, Wilson-Perez HE, Jessen L, Sisley S, Ryan KK, Gaitonde S, Sorrell JE, Toure M, Berger J, D'Alessio DA, Sandoval DA, Seeley RJ, Woods SC "Similar effects of roux-en-Y gastric bypass and vertical sleeve gastrectomy on glucose regulation in rats.." Physiol. Behav.. 2011 November 30; 105 (1): 120-3. Pubmed PMID: 21683726
- Sandoval D, Barrera JG, Stefater MA, Sisley S, Woods SC, D'Alessio DD, Seeley RJ "The Anorectic Effect of GLP-1 in Rats Is Nutrient Dependent.." PLoS ONE. 2012 7 (12): e51870. Pubmed PMID: 23284795
- Chambers AP, Jessen L, Ryan KK, Sisley S, Wilson-Pérez HE, Stefater MA, Gaitonde SG, Sorrell JE, Toure M, Berger J, D'Alessio DA, Woods SC, Seeley RJ, Sandoval DA "Weight-independent changes in blood glucose homeostasis after gastric bypass or vertical sleeve gastrectomy in rats.." Gastroenterology. 2011 September ; 141 (3): 950-8. Pubmed PMID: 21699789
- Sisley, S, Smith, K, Sandoval, DA, Seeley, RJ "Differences in acute anorectic effects of long-acting GLP-1 receptor agonists in rats." Peptides. 2014 : Pubmed PMID: 24879927
- Sisley, S, Gutierrez-Aguilar, R, Scott, M, D’Alessio, DA, Sandoval, DA, Seeley, RJ "Neuronal GLP1R mediates liraglutide's anorectic but not glucose-lowering effect." JCI. 2014 June ; : Pubmed PMID: 24762441
- Sisley, S.R., Vargas, M., Khoury, J., Backeljauw, P "Low Incidence of Pathology Detection and High Cost of Screening in the Evaluation of Asymptomatic Short Children." J Peds. 2013 : Pubmed PMID: 23706358
- Heppner, K.M, Piechowski, C.L., Muller, A, Ottaway, N, Sisley, S, Smiley, D.L., Habegger, K.M. Pfluger, P.T., Dimarchi, R, Biebermann, H, Tschop, M.H., Sandoval, D.A., Perez-Tilve, D "Both acyl and des-acyl ghrelin regulate adiposity and glucose metabolism via CNS ghrelin receptors." Diabetes. 2014 January ; 3 : 122-31. Pubmed PMID: 24062249
- Chambers, AP, Smith EP, Begg DP, Grayson, BE, Sisley, S, Greer, T, Sorell, J, Lemmen, L, Lasance, K, Woods, SC, Seele, RJ, D’Alessio, DA, Sandoval, DA "Regulation of gastric emptying rate and its role in nutrient-induced GLP-1 secretion in rats after vertical sleeve gastrectomy." AJPEM. 2014 306 (4): e424-32.
- Bielohuby, M, Sisley, S, Sandoval D.A, Sorrell, J, Menhofer, D, Stoehr, B, Stemmer, K, Pfluger, P, Ottaway, N, Tschöp, M, Seeley, R.J., Bidlingmaier, M "Impaired glucose tolerance in rats fed low-." AJPEM. 2013 305 (9): e1059-70.
- Sisley SR, Arble DM, Chambers AP, Gutierrez-Aguilar R, He Y, Xu Y, Gardner D, Moore DD, Seeley RJ, Sandoval DA "Hypothalamic Vitamin D Improves Glucose Homeostasis and Reduces Weight." Diabetes. 2016 : Pubmed PMID: 27217488
- Hailan Liu, Yang He, Jessie Beck, Silvania da Silva Teixeira, Keisha Harrison, Yong Xu, Stephanie Sisley "Defining vitamin D receptor expression in the brain using a novel VDR Cre mouse." J Comp Neuro. 2020 December ; : Pubmed PMID: 33368246
- Redondo MJ, Siller AF, Gu X, Tosur M, Bondy M, Devaraj S, Sisley S. "Sex differences in circulating leptin as a marker of adiposity in obese or overweight adolescents with type 1 diabetes." BMJ Open Diabetes Res Care. 2020 October ; : Pubmed PMID: 33087341
- Athanassaki I, Lyons S, DeSalvo D, Hendrix K, Ebenezer S, McCann-Crosby B, Redondo M, Chen MJ, Uysal S, Sisley S "Diabetes Curriculum for Pediatric Endocrine Fellowship Utilizing Modified Team-Based Learning." MEDEDPORTAL. 2020 August ; : Pubmed PMID: 32821810
- da Silva Teixeira S, Harrison K, Uzodike M, Rajapakshe K, Coarfa C, He Y, Xu Y, Sisley S "Vitamin D actions in neurons require the PI3K pathway for both enhancing insulin signaling and rapid depolarizing effects." J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2020 June ; : Pubmed PMID: 32408067
- Horne VE, Bielamowicz K, Nguyen J, Hilsenbeck S, Lindsay H, Sonabend R, Wood AC, Okcu F, Sisley S "Methylphenidate improves weight control in childhood brain tumor survivors with hypothalamic obesity." Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2020 July ; : Pubmed PMID: 32383818
- Zachary M, Sisley S "The Pediatric Obesity Encounter: Literature and Resources to Help with 4 Common Issues." Curr Nutr Rep. 2020 June ; : Pubmed PMID: 32350815
- Harrison K, Sisley S "Vitamin D and the paraventricular nucleus: Relevance for type 2 diabetes." J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2018 March ; : Pubmed PMID: 28993246
- Gao H, Sisley S, Yallampalli C "Blunted hypothalamic ghrelin signaling reduces diet intake in rats fed a low-protein diet in late pregnancy." Physiol Rep. 2015 December ; : Pubmed PMID: 26660550
- Sandoval D, Sisley SR "Brain GLP-1 and insulin sensitivity.." Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015 December ; : Pubmed PMID: 25724479
- Central Vitamin D in Weight and Glucose Regulation
- We are investigating the role of the vitamin D receptor in weight and glucose regulation. This includes the use of genetic mouse models as well as investigations of the interaction of diet with vitamin D receptor action.
- Endocrine Society
- American Association of Pediatrics
- Pediatric Endocrine Society
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- CNS Vitamin D3 Regulation of Glucose Grant funding from Baylor College of Medicine
- Junior Faculty Development Grant (01/01/2017 - 12/31/2020) American Diabetes Association
- This grant is aimed at uncovering the role of the PVN in the glucose-lowering effects of vitamin D in the brain.
- Brain Signaling, Metabolism, and Obesity Grant funding from USDA
Log In to edit your profile