The Redondo Lab is interested in four research areas:
Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 Diabetes Genetics
- To incorporate genetics in the prediction model for type 1 diabetes and in the selection of candidates for prevention and new onset trials.
- To use genetics along with other characteristics present at diagnosis to classify diabetes time timely and accurately in children of diverse racial/ethnic background.
Type 1 Diabetes Heterogeneity
- To understand the role of type 2 diabetes related factors (genetic, obesity, other) in the pathogenesis of type 1 diabetes.
- To define type 1 diabetes endotypes that can be leveraged for precision medicine diagnosis and treatment.
Type 1 Diabetes Prevention
Identify individuals at risk for type 1 diabetes and offer them clinical trials for prevention of progression.
- To study rare and atypical forms of diabetes and the potential role of the underlying mechanisms in common forms of diabetes
Race and Ethnicity in Diabetes
- To uncover the influence of race/ethnicity in the etiology, pathogenesis and clinical course of diabetes.
COVID-19 and Diabetes
- To study the relationships between COVID-19 and diabetes in children.